Alopecia Areata Myths
We’ve discussed the reasons for Hair Loss and the types of Hair Loss previously in our Hair Loss & Stress Article. Today, let’s dive deep into world of Hair Loss and talk about the myths that surround Alopecia Areata
What Is Alopecia Areata?
This is a condition that produces multiple spots of baldness randomly on the scalp. Usually circular and often the size of a coin.
Alopecia Areata is now a widely accepted autoimmune disorder, where the body sees some hair cells as foreign enemies and then starts attacking them. Why this response is triggered is still not understood properly.
Myths Around Alopecia Areata
- Stress cannot cause Alopecia Areata: This is totally false, as in fact, majority of the Alopecia Areata cases are in fact related to stress! The fact is that people with autoimmune disorders are more prone to illnesses and due to this, their immune system turns on good and healthy cells needlessly which triggers hair loss! To fight stress, exercise & meditation is recommended!
- Alopecia Areata is The Only form of Areata: As we’ve explained before, Alopecia Areata is only a type of Hair Loss, it isn’t another name for Hair Loss! This is a popular misconception. The other types of Hair Loss are
- Alopecia is a Symptom of cancer! Alopecia is often mistaken to be a symptom of Cancer, the reality is that it is an auto immune disease, and this, in simpler terms, means that your immune system is attacking your own body. The effects of this can be quite complex and isn’t just limited to Alopecia areata.
- Alopecia Areata can spread with physical contact: Not true at all! Auto immune disorders only pass on genetically. Moreover, it is the environmental and hormonal factors that trigger the condition. Stress, illness, and any other injury can form the environmental triggers.
- Using a Shampoo can cause hair loss: Shampooing regularly is a good thing! It cleans and gives strength to the hair. However, shampooing too frequently can be damaging as then the hair is stripped of the natural oils.
In case you are dealing with Alopecia Areata, and would like to get it treated, you may do so by booking an appointment with Dr. Gaurav by calling us at +91-9990449555